This is a website dedicated to showing off my grass eating, pasture raised poultry and the delicious and nutritious eggs they lay! Take a few minutes and browse through the plethora of cool things here. You can view pictures of my chickens, find out what makes my chickens' eggs better than most, and how to contact me to buy or trade to have a few eggs of your own! Thanks for visiting - please visit again soon!


.:~~Chicken Scratchings Blog~~:.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Broody hens are still sitting!

My broody hens (one duck and one chicken) are still sitting on their eggs!  Yeah!  I'm excited to see what becomes of the eggs under them.  I have 1 rooster to 37 hens...which is a tad on the uneven side to get fertilization to all hens (about 1 rooster to 10 hens is great) but we'll see what happens.  Hopefully I get a few chicks out of them!  After they hatch and if the "moms" still want to be moms and don't run off, I hope to put them all in the peachick run so they can take care of their own babies and I don't have to use the brooder, which is basically a box with a light in it to keep them warm enough.  Lord willing, the hens will keep them warm and show them the food and water and I get to sit by and watch. :-)  As of now, the peachick run isn't finished...but I have roughly 15 days yet to get it done........ :-)  Hopefully too the peas leave the moms and babies alone....we'll see I guess!  Each day is an adventure! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment