This is a website dedicated to showing off my grass eating, pasture raised poultry and the delicious and nutritious eggs they lay! Take a few minutes and browse through the plethora of cool things here. You can view pictures of my chickens, find out what makes my chickens' eggs better than most, and how to contact me to buy or trade to have a few eggs of your own! Thanks for visiting - please visit again soon!


.:~~Chicken Scratchings Blog~~:.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Crazy duck! :-)

So, if you've been eagerly following chicken incubation exploits, you'll know that I'm on the hunt for a broody chicken or duck to sit on some eggs for me. Spring must finally be here since I now have a Buff Orpington chicken and a Runner duck sitting on nests. Yeah!! Apparently Buff Orpingtons are good setters, but Runners apparently are not, so I guess I got lucky with this one! The duck sitting within viewing distance of the kitchen window, so I'm thrilled I get to watch her. Although, a sitting duck isn't terribly exciting. Anyway, I knew the sitting Runner had a ton of eggs under her - I guessed about 35 - which would be more than what her little behind could keep warm. The eggs would probably also be a Runner/Muscovy cross, which I wasn't sure I wanted around anyway. So, tonight when she got up for her usual 7:00 quick bite to eat and short bath (told you I liked to watch her...), I pulled out everything that was under her and replaced them with 12 chicken eggs and 3 other duck eggs. As it turns out, I was slightly off in my guesstamate of how many eggs were under her...it was 57!! She evidently hadn't given much thought to how she was going to raise 57 little ducklings... I checked her after she returned to her "new" nest and she appears to have taken to the new eggs. Evidently she can't count either... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment