This is a website dedicated to showing off my grass eating, pasture raised poultry and the delicious and nutritious eggs they lay! Take a few minutes and browse through the plethora of cool things here. You can view pictures of my chickens, find out what makes my chickens' eggs better than most, and how to contact me to buy or trade to have a few eggs of your own! Thanks for visiting - please visit again soon!


.:~~Chicken Scratchings Blog~~:.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Nesting box!

Old tarp from the local elevator - free
Unused commercial nesting box - free + a couple dozen eggs :-)
A fantastic, non-heavy, nicely covered, four hole nesting box for my summer coop - PRICELESS!! :-)




The summer coop really needed more nesting boxes, but I was low on time and materials to build another one.  (I built a 3 hole box last summer, but 3 nests to 36 hens is a little on the "not enough" side...)  A friend's dad hooked me up with some older, commercial nesting boxes that were no longer being used and instead taking up barn space.  Since my chickens are free-range, I didn't need these cages for what they are originally designed for, however, cage-type material is quite versatile so I think they will all be used for something!  (Soon I will post pictures of my first project I made with some of them...stay tuned...)  My chickens like laying eggs in darker areas so I figured that they wouldn't be too keen on using the cages as they were originally designed, so I cut up pieces of tarp leftover from covering corn at the local elevator (also quite versatile stuff...) and used fishing line to sew these pieces in the cage to make it darker.  I hope to also put another piece across the lower front, but at the moment, I'm out of fishing line...  Tomorrow I hope to hook it up on the summer coop and fill it with straw and see who's the first to give it a try!  These boxes will be fantastic for keeping the coop light and easy to move too - this box only weighs about 5 lbs I think!
Yes, I know this is a long paragraph about a nesting box...but how awesome is this?!?! :-) :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment