This is a website dedicated to showing off my grass eating, pasture raised poultry and the delicious and nutritious eggs they lay! Take a few minutes and browse through the plethora of cool things here. You can view pictures of my chickens, find out what makes my chickens' eggs better than most, and how to contact me to buy or trade to have a few eggs of your own! Thanks for visiting - please visit again soon!


.:~~Chicken Scratchings Blog~~:.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

One returned peachick!

Lindsey came down the sidewalk this morning with one of the runaway peachicks!  It made my day. :-)  Only one though.  He found it on the diagonal other side of the yard by itself.  So, I still have no idea if there are others, but for now, this one is going into the calf hut for safety and some food and water! :-)
This evening, I wasn't sure what to do with the baby all by itself in there.  Animals just do so much better when they have a buddy!  Choice 1 is to put the little guy in with the chickens.  With the whole pecking order, though, I'm not sure this will be such a great idea...  I don't know if he's big enough to fight for himself yet!  Choice 2 is to put a chicken in with him to keep him company.  I opted for Choice 2 and picked my docile little buddy of a Gold Star.  I picked up Goldy from her roost and carried her across the front yard and put just inside the calf hut.  She tried to make a fast get away back out, but I stopped here.  Then there was a lot of hissing and feather puffing on the part of both birds so I decided that that maybe wasn't such a good idea either and finally chose Choice 3 - leave the chick by herself and hope she survives while I hunt for the rest of them...  Goldy then was returned safely to her perch and enjoyed a nice quiet rest... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment