This is a website dedicated to showing off my grass eating, pasture raised poultry and the delicious and nutritious eggs they lay! Take a few minutes and browse through the plethora of cool things here. You can view pictures of my chickens, find out what makes my chickens' eggs better than most, and how to contact me to buy or trade to have a few eggs of your own! Thanks for visiting - please visit again soon!


.:~~Chicken Scratchings Blog~~:.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Drop in laying...

For all you who are interested in buying eggs or have bought eggs from me in the past - sad to say, but the hens' egg count has dropped considerably in the last few weeks!  Each egg is extra precious now!  The 17 older hens are at various stages of molting and as I said in another post, they spend more time losing feathers than laying eggs!  So 17 down.  That leaves the 26 spring hens as the main layers.  Those ladies are trying to do a fine job, except that with the shorter days for this time of year, their body clock tells them not to lay as many eggs.  Apparently laying eggs and bright sunny days go hand in hand!  With all this to consider, you may not be able to buy as many eggs at one time as you did a couple weeks ago.  It's a first come first serve thing now and if you'd like any substantial amount, let me know as soon as possible and even then I may not be able to fill your needs at this time.  As sad as this is, there's a positive side - in a few months when the days get longer and the older ones are back in their prime (and barring no illness or small hen stealing varmint!), I will have eggs filling the fridge and looking to get rid of them!  Your patience will be rewarded! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment