This is a website dedicated to showing off my grass eating, pasture raised poultry and the delicious and nutritious eggs they lay! Take a few minutes and browse through the plethora of cool things here. You can view pictures of my chickens, find out what makes my chickens' eggs better than most, and how to contact me to buy or trade to have a few eggs of your own! Thanks for visiting - please visit again soon!


.:~~Chicken Scratchings Blog~~:.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

And there wasn't light...

A couple weeks ago, after seeing it grow dark by 6pm and watching the daily egg count take a dive, I decided to get out the extension cord, the timer and the small LED nightlight.  That's right - it's time for some fake sunlight.  I had read sometime last year about someone who had noticed an improvement on winter laying possibly stemming from a simple candle*.  I don't think I want to take the chances of an unguarded, open flame so I opted for electric....  But I also didn't want something that was going to cost a fortune in energy, so I found a small LED nightlight that supposedly costs only pennies a year to run and I also bought a small timer so that I can program when the light is on during the day.  14 hours of daylight is supposed to make the best production.  After hooking it up, I did notice a rise in egg count - yeah!  I really notice it now that for the last two days it hasn't been working and the egg count has dropped again.  I have to do a little testing...our outside plug-in is a little touchy anyway (flips the breaker sporadically) but so far the breaker hasn't flipped and nothing still works.  I plugged in something else directly into the plug-in and that works, so my guess is that the extension cord must have gone crazy.  Ah well...I'd best get to it so I can still keep having tasty eggs for breakfast in the morning... :-) 

*By the way, I can't remember exactly which issue it came from, but the "reading" I mentioned above was from the Backyard Poultry magazine I subscribe to.  SUPER magazine!!  Would highly recommend it to anyone who has poultry...

No comments:

Post a Comment