This is a website dedicated to showing off my grass eating, pasture raised poultry and the delicious and nutritious eggs they lay! Take a few minutes and browse through the plethora of cool things here. You can view pictures of my chickens, find out what makes my chickens' eggs better than most, and how to contact me to buy or trade to have a few eggs of your own! Thanks for visiting - please visit again soon!


.:~~Chicken Scratchings Blog~~:.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Flighty Leghorns

I moved the coop all by myself last night and tonight!  Yeah!!  Our engineering is getting better! :-)  It really didn't even take that long either.

I let the chickens out of the coop tonight just before dark just to see what they'd do.  4 ended up roosting in the tree on the other side of the yard from the coop, so I probably won't be doing that again anytime soon.  They're content where they are - why ruin things?? :-)  Two of the birds were Leghorns.  I had read that Leghorns are extremely flighty (ha ha) birds, and after experiencing them myself over the last few months (they were hatched in the spring), I'd have to wholeheartedly agree!!  Whereas most chickens go into sleep mode when the sun goes down, Leghorns don't seem to.  Or at least mine don't!!  I managed to get one of them out of the tree, but the other one would flutter down and run away (or to be more accurate, flap her wings in a frenzy, squawk up a storm like I was a fox or coyote and run screeching the other direction from me...)  I never did catch her.  Sometimes they get themselves into such a fit, it's best to just leave them alone and try again tomorrow.  But for as many eggs as Leghorns are supposed to lay, I can't say I'd be jumping up and down to get more of them just because their personality isn't the greatest...

No comments:

Post a Comment